Meeting Margaret and Cousin Mark
Well we organised to meet up with a friend of Mum's who lives in the northern side of London, luckily we had already traveled on the northern line to see Karen so we must have looked like old hands. She was in between the Goodge street and Warren street stations, so we got off at warren street. It was nice to see another familiar face and Margaret took us out to coffee at her local cafe. Margaret was very nice and even offered to do some laundry for us, she told us to just bring it in and she'd take it home to wash and dry then drop it off to us the next day. I thanked her for her offer and said I would do it later (Ben's dryer didn't work).
She also told us how to get to china town and where to get a cheap phone card, the phone card was a great deal. The little phone card shop sold a £20 phone card for £15 but when I went to use it, it actually had £25 on it. Margaret said she couldn't use it up as it only lasts 3 months, I told her that I wouldn't have any trouble (And I don't, thought the rate to Australia is something like 1.5p per minute so it should still last ok). Just means I get to talk to Chloe more :)
Well from there we had organised to see my cousin Mark at Covent Gardens as he works in the middle of London and Covent Gardens is very nice. So we had a couple of hours to lose, and decided to wander around and see what it's like. We decided to walk there, so walked through Soho, there was a place there that Margaret had told us about which was apparently a world famous Jazz Bar. I think it was called Rays Jazz Club, it's definitely a place I'll have to checkout.
Anyway, we walked to Covent Gardens and found that it seems to be a market (The buildings suggest 1800's market, not that I'm an expert) and there were many buggers(buskers) there some good, some not so good. One particular pair of buggers(buskers) were a pair I remember for Adelaide, they are from Peru I think that play some of the most amazing Latin music I've heard. I took a couple of photo's and some video of them which I probably wont put on the net as the files are too big.
I took a number of artistic photo's of the market area and we saw a couple of other buggers (buskers), a couple of jugglers on uni-cycles but they were not really that good.
I rang up Mark and he was running late so Joe and myself went looking for food, we decided upon an American burger bar (looked a little upmarket, so not fast food rubbish). It was called Hamburger Union and the food was quite good. We rang Mark and told him where we were and he arrived a little later. After a bit of food we went across the road to a pub and had a couple of drinks with Mark. My friend Ben arrived a little later and Ben and Mark started talking football (real football so soccer for those Aussies). Since Joe and myself have little knowledge of this topic, particularly English Premier league, we bowed out of the discussion.
It was a great night and good to see my cousin as I haven't really had much chance to see any of my cousins.
Note: For those wondering about all the buggers, I used the spelling checker as Annmarie suggested and the touchpad must have made me agree to change all buskers to buggers. So any interesting words are care of the spell checker.
She also told us how to get to china town and where to get a cheap phone card, the phone card was a great deal. The little phone card shop sold a £20 phone card for £15 but when I went to use it, it actually had £25 on it. Margaret said she couldn't use it up as it only lasts 3 months, I told her that I wouldn't have any trouble (And I don't, thought the rate to Australia is something like 1.5p per minute so it should still last ok). Just means I get to talk to Chloe more :)
Well from there we had organised to see my cousin Mark at Covent Gardens as he works in the middle of London and Covent Gardens is very nice. So we had a couple of hours to lose, and decided to wander around and see what it's like. We decided to walk there, so walked through Soho, there was a place there that Margaret had told us about which was apparently a world famous Jazz Bar. I think it was called Rays Jazz Club, it's definitely a place I'll have to checkout.
Anyway, we walked to Covent Gardens and found that it seems to be a market (The buildings suggest 1800's market, not that I'm an expert) and there were many buggers(buskers) there some good, some not so good. One particular pair of buggers(buskers) were a pair I remember for Adelaide, they are from Peru I think that play some of the most amazing Latin music I've heard. I took a couple of photo's and some video of them which I probably wont put on the net as the files are too big.
I took a number of artistic photo's of the market area and we saw a couple of other buggers (buskers), a couple of jugglers on uni-cycles but they were not really that good.
I rang up Mark and he was running late so Joe and myself went looking for food, we decided upon an American burger bar (looked a little upmarket, so not fast food rubbish). It was called Hamburger Union and the food was quite good. We rang Mark and told him where we were and he arrived a little later. After a bit of food we went across the road to a pub and had a couple of drinks with Mark. My friend Ben arrived a little later and Ben and Mark started talking football (real football so soccer for those Aussies). Since Joe and myself have little knowledge of this topic, particularly English Premier league, we bowed out of the discussion.
It was a great night and good to see my cousin as I haven't really had much chance to see any of my cousins.
Note: For those wondering about all the buggers, I used the spelling checker as Annmarie suggested and the touchpad must have made me agree to change all buskers to buggers. So any interesting words are care of the spell checker.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home